Life in Central Asia is, well, quickly becoming life. I am thankful for how quickly the stressors of a new location can pass and you can develop what I like to call the "new normal." I have made many new friends and have been able to share meals/tea with most of them! The latest endeavor in the house has been a pumpkin baking project. We have successfully turned one pumpkin into two loaves of bread, six pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, and about 7 dozen pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. We are so excited to share these with our neighbors during the next few days.
On another note, I was blessed to be invited to a birthday party for a friend's one year old son! It was a great time. I was able to learn some more cultural norms and adapt to what I like to call "Central Asia time." You can figure out Central Asia time by multiplying the normal amount of time by approximately 2. For example, if people will be arriving "in about 20 minutes," you should assume that means 40. If they will cut the cake "in just 10 or 15 minutes," count on 30. If you are invited to stay for an hour and a half, schedule out three hours! Nonetheless, I had a fabulous time and though this is not our normal kind of relationship building (I prefer a neighbor's kitchen and tea) it was a special treat!
No comments:
Post a Comment